Sunday, April 10, 2016

I Hopped On A Wave...

I’ve been going through so much internally lately…as my outer world is shifting.  it’s been a very difficult time.

   I made a huge move.   It was more as if a powerful wave came in and lifted me out of my existing life…I allowed it to carry me into the unknown-and having landed on completely foreign shores, I’ve been feeling knocked about by all these little waves, and questioning everything in my life. (Especially my sanity!)

   The wave had been building momentum through the previous year. I could feel it but I was trying to ignore it-I sat on the sidelines watching the tides roll in and out.  At a deeper level, I felt a yearning- I wanted to ride that wave craving, some sort of change.  I needed something more.

Being a single mom has been one of the toughest and also one of the most poignant journeys.  I don’t recommend it, but then most of us single moms are not at this destination by choice.  I know we all had dreams of giving our kids those beautiful Kodak moments- with large festive family holidays and two loving parents proudly encouraging them forward in their path.  But our life learning seldom comes in ways we expect.

    Being a single parent is quite different.  In a way, you become both a masculine and a feminine force in your child’s life.   If you have only one child- like myself-you do become best friends-not in a restrictive needy way, but in a way where the memories you build are of you and them…a small, really fun family unit.


The teen years have been tough- I’m certain quite normal, but for me, the single mom with one kid- really hard.     My beautiful girl had to gain her individuality and independence; I get all that stuff- it didn’t make it easy.    I became background cast…transportation coordinator…wardrobe assistant if necessary…but the hardest part was implementing some respect and discipline.  That was hell.  If we fought, she ran to her dad’s home where he welcomed her with open arms…and suddenly it was like dealing with two rebellious teenagers who hated their parent…

 My ex was like the anti-parent.  He was happy to side with my daughter, to see me as the bitch…have his disregard for me affirmed.  It was confirmation that his departure was warranted.  And as far as a test on my own strength- you know what doesn't kill you make you stronger?  Meh…I failed and I crumbled, quietly- by myself.
      So around March of last year I began dreaming.  What could a different life look like?  Where would I like to be?  how could I create something to sustain me as I moved into the next part of my life…and one day I saw an ad for real estate in Stratford.   “Buy a house for $12,500 down".  I could do that!  I had some money saved…I could do that eventually!    I truly thought I would see Aaron through at least her first year of university and then she would possibly want to move in with friends.  I even thought when the time was right they could have the apartment we were living in and I would maybe buy a house somewhere outside of Toronto.

 This is how I envisioned it in my head.  This is not quite how it went.
A few days after my birthday-early June, my daughter announced she was going to live with her dad in the fall- she had made her decision.  I felt hurt…shocked, angry–but maybe it was just fear.  Fear of not knowing who I was outside my role as mom.  Oh sure, I’m an artist and a songwriter/singer…but my sense of self – my greatest role had derived form being her mom- that’s where I felt I belonged.  I had felt a sense of family I had never known- a great comfort.   For 18 years, every decision I made was based upon being her mom- giving her the best I could.  And my greatest fear…that she would leave.. was happening.  But this time it was different- teenagers have to leave, it’s their job- to individuate, to become their own person.

And I was left to ponder a HUGE question- what did I want?
( and by the way- I m still trying to figure this out)

  That week of pondering,sadness, anger…feeling helpless at the inevitable shifting of life, I made the decision to meet up with a real estate agent in Stratford.  He was a very kind and sweet young man and he showed me 8 houses and gave me a bit of a Stratford tour.   I fell in love with the 8th house and with Stratford.  It felt familiar, with a huge enclosed backyard, I could envision my elderly dog chasing squirrels, and the large mature maple in the back had a tree house and a swing!  I could see grand children playing here one day.   It had a large main floor bedroom- with three upstairs bedrooms which made it perfect for creating some sort of B and B…and spirit whispered, “yes.”

     The next three weeks were like a blur- the purchase of this house came together in a miraculous way, and my closing date was set for August 11th.  I decided to move the following month; making sure Aaron was moved and calmly transitioned.  I did my last show in TO and moved September 24th.

       And here I am now…6 months later…upon these new shores…exploring…feeling very lonely…missing mother hood in ways that make my heart ache…still trying to figure out where I am…loving my home…missing my musical friends and community…loving living in a smaller town with no traffic or speed bumps, loving that it takes me 5 minutes to get anywhere…loving the swans…missing my favourite breakfast haunts…lying in bed Friday nights watching Netflix and eating Chinese with my kid…missing UB with Linda, jams with Brian, and Roy…shows at Hirut…guitar with Dave, recording with Myke…slowly making new friends here…but feeling frightened and nervous sometimes- maybe expecting too much too soon…

It’s all a jumble right now, I feel uncertain of everything- mostly about myself. 
It feels like learning walk again, I'm wobbly as heck, but there’s no cheering section - I guess maybe that's part of my learning- to become my own cheerleader...Go Sharron?

   People say I’m courageous…maybe I’m stupid…right now, I’m unsure.
All I know is I hopped on a wave-


xox  Sharron



 The wave painting is still available for sale. The above painting is part of the Spring It On Collection. Please visit www.sharronkatz.com to view affordable Floral paintings- perfect for Mother's day!


    

No comments: